This creamy spring soup incorporates hemp oil alongside asparagus, spinach and onions. It’s best served with a side of avocado toast topped with hemp seeds.
It’s spring, and the asparagus onslaught has begun. This soup, with the avocado and hemp toast on the side, makes a delightful spring meal. On a hot day, you can also serve this soup chilled, perhaps thinned with a little buttermilk that will add a nice tang.
Asparagus & Hemp Soup Recipe
Serves 4, generously
2 tablespoons hemp oil
2 springs onions, thinly sliced
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2 inch pieces
1 cup fresh baby spinach, trimmed
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- In a large sauté pan heat the hemp oil.
- Add the green onions and asparagus and sauté for 7-9 minutes.
- Add the spinach, dill, turmeric and salt and pepper and sauté an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a soup pot. Add the stock to the vegetables and simmer until the asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully put the soup into the blender and puree till smooth.
- Pour the soup into four bowls. Sprinkle with the hemp seeds for garnish. Enjoy!
Avocado Toast with Hemp & Tumeric
Makes 8 pieces of toast
2 medium ripe avocados
1 scallion, chopped
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
8 bread slices, lightly toasted
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- In a small bowl mash the avocados with the scallion, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Place the bread on your work surface and divide the avocado mixture among the slices, spreading generously on top.
- Sprinkle with the turmeric and hemp seeds to garnish. Enjoy!
Laurie Wolf is half of the award-winning edible company, Laurie and MaryJane. Her goal is to provide high-quality, reliable edibles for the cannabis community.